On Saturday 23rd June 2018 The Friends of Havant Cemeteries will hold a ‘Heritage at Your Feet’ open day to celebrate the work of the group at New Lane / Eastern Road Cemetery, Havant.
Activities will include walks around the cemetery to highlight interesting and important graves and the natural history of the cemetery. We will also give talks at The Spring (Havant Arts Centre) where there will be displays to explain our work and the history of the cemetery.
Additional activities at The Spring (10.00am – 4.00pm) will include opportunities for research with experienced local and family historians and a family tree activity for children.
Entertainment will be provided by Wickham Morris and there will be a performance by Rob Mills, celebrated Hampshire folk singer, including a song especially composed for the cemeteries.
The Mayor of Havant will unveil the information boards at New Lane Cemetery at midday.
The Open Day is part of a project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund which includes replacement gates and a bench in the Dissenters’ section and additional information boards for the Dissenters’ section and the triangle of land outside the cemetery on the corner of Eastern Road and New Road.
The new gates have been installed although the damaged gatepost still needs attention.
The bench and noticeboards have been installed.
The noticeboards will be unveiled at the Open Day.
Information sheets have been placed next to important and interesting graves.
Activities at the Spring
- An exhibition of research in the Saltings Room and 30-minute talks about the cemeteries’ history and inhabitants, at 10.30am and at 2.00pm.
- A family tree activity in the Art Space for accompanied children from 10.15am to 3.30pm.
- The research room will be open for family history research, with genealogy experts from The Spring and members of the Friends of Havant Cemeteries available to help.
- Wickham Morris will dance at 11.00 and 12.00 noon.
- Rob Mills, a Hampshire folk singer, will perform from 1.00pm – 1.30pm and 2.00pm – 2.30pm, his repertoire to include a song specially commissioned for the day.
Activities at the New Lane and Eastern Road cemeteries (10 minutes walk from The Spring)
- Official opening of the new gates, bench and information boards at 12.00 noon by the Mayor of Havant
- Historic walks at 10.30am and 2.00pm, a natural history walk at 12.15pm and a photographic walk at 3.00pm.
- A quiz.